Sunday, November 27, 2011

Radiolab's " The Loneliness of the Goalkeeper"

A while ago, I heard this great podcast that struck a chord with me enough that I had to illustrate it.  It was about how soccer goalies feel isolated from the rest of their team, and are often are very introverted people. I found it to be eerily accurate, and oddly beautiful.  I myself was a hockey goalie when I was younger and loved it, I wouldn't dream of being any other position.  I found this podcast to be great for my own self reflection.

  I'd love to go into it further, but I feel like I would just cheapen it with my heavy handed words so you can just listen here!

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2011/feb/08/radiolab-presents-loneliness-goalkeeper/

It's about 20 minutes long FYI, just incase you're in a rush. 



This is the first mock up. Love the colors, didn't feel like it worked for the atmosphere I felt. I respect Goalies and the kids who dream of growing up to be one so much that I didn't want to cheapen this subject with my often overly fun colors or a concept so clever it's takes away from the simple feeling.


This was my second color mock up. I liked it more but it didn't exactly feel like mine yet. I ended up deleting the rendered net i had drawn in favor of the charcoal one, it just had a better heaviness to it.


I added a soccer ball to make the composition more balanced.

Hope you enjoy! Thanks to Skip Sterling for pointing out the podcast too me!
You can check out his illustration here -- > http://skipsterling.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment