Friday, May 20, 2011

Chris Osgood

Since I was a kid I always loved hockey goalie helmets.  Although more recently baseball catchers helmets have featured some art, I still find the goalie helmet to be unique to professional sports.  While the rest of the team is in fairly generic uniforms, the goalies stand out with these brightly painted war helmets.  The first in my series is fairly simple and they will get more complex and over the top as I continue this summer.

I started my series of NHL goalie "war helmet" portraits with Chris Osgood of the Detroit Red Wings. I'll always remember his helmet because it was the exception to the rule.  His helmet is plain, and rather than setting him apart from his team, I always found it set him apart from the rest of the goalies.  It gave me the impression of being just one of the soldiers.





No comments:

Post a Comment